Although it’s one of the most common mental illnesses in the world, affecting millions of people worldwide, less than half of those affected seek treatment. Anxiety is very treatable, and there are many natural ways to reduce anxiety and improve mental wellness for better overall health.
Physical activity, healthy rest habits and diet, and the use of natural supplements can go a long way to treating the symptoms of anxiety and its effects. One increasingly popular method of naturally treating anxiety is the use of CBD oil, which is a safe, affordable option.
What are the symptoms of anxiety?
Millions of people around the world are affected by anxiety and depression, and according to AnxietyUK, a recent survey found that about 6 million people in the UK struggle with symptoms of anxiety, while only 25% are currently receiving treatment for it. The symptoms are both physical and psychological.
The physical symptoms of anxiety include:
- Racing heartbeat, stomach butterflies or nausea
- Dry mouth, shortness of breath or tightness in the chest
- Tremors or sweating
- More frequent urge to urinate or empty bowels
- Pins and needles in the hands or feet
The psychological symptoms of anxiety can include:
- Irritability, inner tension or agitation
- Fear of losing control or dread of catastrophe
- Feelings of detachment or lack of interest in things that you used to be excited about
Natural Ways to Treat Anxiety
According to Freedom of Information Act data released in 2018, “more than 7.3 million people were prescribed antidepressants in 2017-18”. While the number of people using medication to treat anxiety and depression has decreased considerably, millions are still affected by the symptoms of these mental health issues, and many are turning to natural methods to treat their symptoms. Natural treatments for anxiety and depression can have more successful results without the side effects or long term consequences from using prescription medication.
Some of the most effective natural ways to improve overall health and reduce anxiety are:
- Increase physical activity and exercise. Consistent exercise is important for your physical, emotional and mental health, and it has been shown to help reduce anxiety. The weekly recommended amount is a minimum of 150 minutes (25 minutes per day, 6 days per week) of moderate aerobic activity or 75 minutes (15 minutes per day, 5 days per week) of vigorous activity.
- Get plenty of sleep. While anxiety can disrupt your sleep, poor rest can also increase anxiety, so it’s important to get plenty of rest regularly. Most adults need 7-9 hours of sleep per night on a regular basis. Physical exercise and limited alcohol and caffeine intake can improve your sleep, which also affects anxiety.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet. You are what you eat, as they say! In addition to drinking plenty of water (eight 8-ounce glasses or 2 liters per day), your made-for-anxiety diet should include foods that are rich in key vitamins and minerals such as magnesium, zinc, omega-3 fatty acids, and B-vitamins. You should also avoid things that trigger anxiety. Smoking and consuming alcohol or caffeinated beverages such as coffee or black tea can increase levels of anxiety or anxious feelings.
- Take natural supplements. Natural supplements like CBD oil can go a long way to reducing your anxiety symptoms naturally. CBD oil, or cannabidiol, is a 100% legal and completely THC-free non-psychoactive compound from the hemp plant. Taking a mild dosage under your tongue daily has been shown to help a lot of people who struggle with chronic anxiety or depression. CBD oil is becoming a more popular natural treatment for anxiety, among other things.
- Meditate and practice deep breathing exercises. When you’re anxious or suffering from panic attacks, you might find yourself taking shallow, rapid breaths. This can negatively affect the levels of oxygen and carbon dioxide in your blood, making the anxiety worse. Meditation and deep breathing exercises can help to treat this, bringing you into a state of relaxation.