I love a good fake-away! By fake-away, I mean a healthy, home-made copy of a takeaway. Don’t get me wrong, I do LOVE takeaways but there’s a certain feeling of satisfaction where I feel like I’m indulging on my favourite foods but in actual fact, I’m not AND I’m being healthy.
My favourite takeaway is probably a Chinese, however, whatever I go for on the menu, just never agrees with me! I usually wake up the next day with a swollen face and my IBS massively flares. I once Google’d it and found out that the swollen face thing, is actually a thing and it’s caused by a Monosodium glutamate allergy. MG is basically a flavor-enhancing food additive. It has a bad reputation because many believe it can cause allergy-like symptoms and side effects, including me! Therefore this leaves me with no choice but avoid Chinese takeaways and make my own, fortunately, due to my amazing skills in the kitchen (oh, so modest) I do knock up a gorgeous chicken stir-fry and it’s HEALTHY, jam packed full of protein, easy and quick to make!!! I’m a woman of many talents, I know.
I thought I’d share the recipe for a few reasons, mainly because it’s healthy and I know how hard/essential it is to be creative, something I’ve been banging on about for the last couple of weeks I know, and also because it really is a very quick and cheap meal to make for a few people too.
I was lucky enough to be sent a few products from the Very Lazy garlic collection last week and decided to have a play around with them in my stir-fry and it definitely gave it a kick plus extra flavour… yummy! I always use Very Lazy products since they just eliminate wastage, meaning you get the most out of your ingredients. The brand believes that home cooking should be an adventure – an exciting, full flavoured exploration of the wonderful variety of foods from all over the world. They’ve created their products because they want to make our lives easier after recognising that preparing great ingredients can involve doing stuff that is messy and time-consuming. Not much fun at all. Therefore they kinda’ take away the hard work, so we can enjoy all the fun and rewards of being a great home cook. Thanks for that one guys!
So here it is, my healthy stir-fry recipe:
Diced Chicken (you can also use other meats like beef)
Edamame Bean Pre Prepared Stir-Fry Mixture
Soy and Garlic Stir-Fry Sauce
Very Lazy Red Chopped Chillies
Very Lazy Smoked Chopped Garlic
Coconut oil spray
- I used a coconut oil spray to coat the wok pan, added the chicken and began to fry until cooked. This usually takes around 5/10 minutes.
- I then added the Edamame Bean Pre-Prepared Stir-Fry Mixture and fried until the vegetables were cooked thoroughly. This usually takes only 3-5 minutes.
- I then decided to add in a teaspoon of Very Lazy Red Chopped Chillies and a teaspoon of Smoked Garlic to coat the chicken and vegetables. Make sure you stir the rest of the mixture around with the chillies and garlic.
- Noodle time! I then added the rice noodles into the wok and began to stir around the mix with the rest of ingredients. The noodles take around 5 minutes too cook but this is determined by what kind of noodles you use.
- Finally, I added the Soy and Garlic Stir Fry Sauce and began to stir the mixture around with the ingredients so that the flavour was marinating the vegetables and chicken.
- Time to serve up!
And woohla! This cost me less than £10 to make and it served four people… bargain! How do you usually make Stir-Fry?