5 Times When It’s OK To Be Selfish

Jumper – MissPap | Jeans – Primark | Knee High Boots – MissPap | Sunglasses – Primark | Headband – Primark

I joke that I’m a selfish person all of the time, my life is all about me. Why shouldn’t it be? Does that make me self-centred too?! This subject has got me thinking. I actually am a little bit selfish, I can admit it. But, you have to be in this day in age.

Being fair to myself, I would say I am an incredibly caring and thoughtful person 70% of the time. I am sensitive, I do have feelings and I don’t have a black heart I swear. However, the other 30% though, I am very hard faced-ish. I care about the people in my life, who care about me. If you do me wrong, I’ll simply get out my scissors and cut you right out of my life. That sounds really harsh and almost cut throat but as a teenager, attending an extremely bitchy all-girls secondary school, having my heart broken 100 million times and being shat on by relatives, has meant I’ve grown a thick skin. I’m not going to delve into subjects about my life that have made the way I am, but what I am going to say that is that being selfish and looking after YOU is actually ok. I’ve put together times in your life when it’s acceptable to be selfish and look after number 1 only, hope you can agree:

  1. When You Want A New Job

Let’s face it, the reason for wanting a new job or a change of scenery at work is for more money, less stress and to further your own careers. That’s not to say it’s as easy as 1, 2,  3, bye. You almost feel dishonest and unloyal when you hand your notice in like sorry not sorry. Even though it will make you feel uneasy, you should always stick with your decision to do what’s best for you and your future.

  1. When You Want To End a Toxic Relationship

This applies to friends and partners. Your friends should always be your biggest fans, not your enemies. You need a good solid support system around you, not someone causing drama for you! If your partner isn’t making you happy, then move on. Toxic relationships are always doomed. Don’t regret the wasted time, take advantage of the experience and start a new life alone.

  1. When You Don’t Want To Go Out

Your friends can call you a bore, but downtime is YOU time. Sometimes you just need to lie in bed and watch Making A Murderer and that’s ok. Working full time, and going to the gym every morning at half six takes it out of me. Weekends are my down time, I love going out with the girls and having a wine or two, but sometimes I just need a break.

  1. When You’re Ill

I’m so dramatic when I’m ill, it really is all about me. You need help when you’re ill and that means people taking care of you. If you can’t go out and get something, or you’re too ill to drive. Let your Mam or friends do it! You’re also allowed sick days at work, take them. Get back to health properly. Do not let guilt get in the way of your health.

  1. When There’s One Malteaser Left In The Packet

Oh just eat it. This applies to every type of food, by the way, the last slice of pizza, the last crisp. JUST EAT IT!


So yeah, being selfish is ok. Sometimes.

Inspired Looks

In collaboration with MissPap!*


  • Reply Nicola November 17, 2017 at 9:25 am

    Haha such a different post and I loved it! I’m too sensitive and care what people think too much I need to learn to be more selfish! Even with food I used to hate getting my own food at a buffet in case people thought I was greedy … I’m slowly learning to be okay with this now haha! x

    • Reply Alice November 17, 2017 at 9:32 am

      Aw it’s not a bad thing to be like that, it’s just sometimes you need to do you! x

  • Reply Poppy Mayy November 17, 2017 at 9:26 am

    I loved this post! It’s always important to be selfish from time to time especially if you’ve been putting your needs after everyone else’s for a while.

    • Reply Alice November 17, 2017 at 9:32 am

      Ah I’m really pleased you liked this post! 🙂 It really is!

  • Reply Sally Morgan-Moore November 17, 2017 at 9:32 am

    Honestly, as I said on insta, this is SUCH a valuable post right now. There’s so much toxicity, jealousy, and all sorts going on in social media today which can make people feel pretty useless and like they’re not getting anywhere in life, and so they sacrifice self care. Everyone needs to take note here. It’s more than ok to be “selfish”. In fact, it’s SO HEALTHY!

    • Reply Alice November 17, 2017 at 9:33 am

      Love this Sally! Thank you for the lovely words! You’re so right, it is healthy! x

  • Reply Emma Bought What November 17, 2017 at 8:03 pm

    Loved reading this! Definitely true about malteasers haha x


    • Reply Alice November 20, 2017 at 9:08 am

      Haha! x

  • Reply Emily November 26, 2017 at 5:32 pm

    Totally agree with the points you make, sometimes it’s for the best and only you know when that is!

    • Reply Alice November 27, 2017 at 9:37 am

      Thanks Emily! x

    Leave a Reply