Winter Skincare Routine
Winter is really here! The dark nights feel gloomier than ever, the rain is more miserable than I remember last year and the frost is back on our cars BUT that it does mean its Christmas soon! Every cloud has a silver lining. I actually don’t mind this time of year, I mean obviously the weather is my least favourite part but I love the events, the fashion, the food, the hot chocolates and pumpkin spiced lattes and especially the cosy nights in.
It’s important to look after yourself in winter, you know give yourself a bit more TLC than usual since our bodies are using more energy to keep ourselves warm, fighting off infections plus the rest. One thing that affects me in the winter is the change in my skin, it tends to get very dry and my lips are prone to chapping *my worst nightmare*, my scalp suffers too resulting in my hair being less shiny! So what causes this? Basically when the temperature drops there is less moisture in the air, this lack of moisture is compounded by wind, which blows moisture away from the skin. In a dry environment, water is lost from the skin cells leaving skin feeling sore and chapped.
Over the years, particularly when I was a teen I tried different products to help combat the dryness but found some moisturisers were too greasy or too dry, there was no in-between until I discovered the Simple Skincare range. They have a variety of products for every skin type from cleaners, moisturizers, eye care and wipes. I first picked it up in my local body care because of the price, not to costly (around £3/4) and I’d heard decent reviews since they pride themselves on “no dyes, artificial perfumes or harsh irritants that can upset skin and contain skin-loving ingredients and added vitamins for natural, healthy-looking skin. Simple® products are hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic and pH balanced”
So I just thought I’d share with you all my daily winter skincare routine! Note, I do this morning and night.
- Use Cherish Micellar Water Facial Cleansing wipes which you can purchase from BodyCare or BnM’s, they’re only 69p and I swear by them. They are alcohol free, fragrance free, chemically tested plus are moist enough to actually take your make up off unlike some dry wipes I’ve used in the past. So remove my makeup, if needed i.e at night before I shower or sometimes in the morning if I’ve used tan from the night before.
- Wash my face with lukewarm water with the Simple Kind To Skin Refreshing Facial Wash Gel with my hands, then rinse off with the same temperate water. If I’m doing this on an evening I do it after I’ve showered so my pores are open.
- Use a cotton pad (which by the way are cheapest at BodyCare, 50p) and pour a few drops of Simple Kind To Skin Facial Toner onto the cotton pad. The technique I use to apply the toner on my face is choosing a direction to rub the pad up or down my face and neck. A toner is so important for remove excess oil, dirt and grime.
- Once dry I then apply the Simple Kind To Skin Replenishing Rich Moisturiser around my face, gently massaging in with my hands (which are clean).
- Lastly I then apply Aloe Vera Vaseline to combat chapped lips.
Does anyone have any more tips for combating the winter freeze for skin?